I've been keeping a list of the books I read, so here is the compilation for May:
It Takes a Parent to Raise a Child by Glen Griffin. This book was cute. The tone was very straight-forward. Good tips, but nothing earth-shattering. I got this book for $1 from bookcloseouts.com, and it was worth the money.
Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. I mentioned this book earlier. I really enjoyed this one. I read it quickly, as I often do with a parenting book that resonates with me. I checked it out from the library, or I'd go back and reread it, I'm sure. It isn't Christian in perspective, so there were certain points with which I disagreed, but overall one of the better parenting books I've read since Relational Parenting (probably my favorite parenting book).
The Loving Parents' Guide to Discipline by Marilyn E. Gootman, Ed.D. Have you noticed that I like reading parenting books? This was another $1 book from bookcloseouts.com. I really enjoyed this book. It got me thinking about anger, something I've been struggling with of late. It's new to me to be angry, as I never before would have described myself as an angry person. I'm sure the perpetual lack of sleep makes a difference! But that chapter has helped me a lot in the past few weeks, to get a handle on my anger before letting it explode out in yelling. This book also has a great outline for problem-solving discipline areas. I will be reading this one again.
Raising your Spirited Child by Mary Sheeda Kurcinka. I first read this book when Erik was just over two. Taking the quiz then, I was somewhat surprised to realize he was spirited. Some of the characteristics I just figured were normal, since he was my only experience at parenting. Reading it a year and a half later, Erik is even more spirited. It's a refreshing book for me to read, to give me support and suggestions for good discipline strategies for him. I'm sure I'll re-read this book many more times as he ages. (And perhaps someday I'll actually buy the book!)
Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer. This was our book club book for May. It was a bit hard to start, and a very strange book (one of the stranger premises I've read in a long time). However, it is very well-written, and I enjoyed reading it, even if I never really loved it.
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. A book from the library. I really enjoyed this book. It was written almost as a collection of short stories that all tied in to the main plot, somehow. There were 3 different cases being investigated by a Private Investigator in London. I expected them to all tie completely together, as was alluded to in the flyleaf. That wasn't the case, however. I prefer not reading the back of a book or flyleaf, as it leads me to thinking in one particular way (the same with previews for our favorite television shows, actually). Even with that, it was engaging and fun to read.
Admissions by Nancy Lieberrman. I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did like it. It was another library check-out. The premise was so intriguing to me--a book about private school admissions at their best (worst?) in New York City. While some parts of the story were fun, others fell flat. I didn't find her to be that great of an author. I'm assuming that some parts were supposed to be satirical, but it just didn't really work. It was easy to read, and I did overall enjoy it.
Bold Spirit by Linda Lawrence Hunt. This is the book club book for June. It is a non-fiction book, a telling of the story of Helga Estby's walk across America. She walked from Spokane, WA, to NYC, accompanied only by her daughter, in 1896. Part of the intrigue of the story is that it was "forgotten history", because the story was silenced, never told by Helga or her family. It was very interesting, and easy to read. I found myself skimming some parts of it, but not very often. It was also fun to read about the Norwegian traditions (it made me ready for some lefse!).
Allergies-The Complete Guide by Stuart H. Young. Another $1 book from bookcloseouts.com. It is a good reference, though I didn't learn much from it. Someone with a child newly diagnosed, or someone who doesn't do a lot of online research, would probably find it very helpful. It was easy to read.
What's to Eat? by Linda Coss. This is a milk-free, egg-free, nut-free cookbook. I haven't made anything out of it yet, but there are many good recipes. She substitutes for eggs with a baking powder/water/oil combination, which I've used before.
Bakin' without Eggs by Rosemarie Enzo. This is also a cookbook. It is different in its premise--she doesn't substitute for eggs, she creates recipes that don't need them. I've really enjoyed a banana bread recipe so far. It's still work, however, as I have to substitute for flour, and in many of the recipes dairy and other ingredients as well.
The Purpose-Driven Life: What on Earth am I Here for? by Rick Warren. I read this last fall, so this was my second time through. I got just as much out of it the second time around. There are many challenges for the Christian walk. I'm sure I'll read it again, as there are still days I have missed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment