Friday, May 27, 2005

Sleeping... or not...

Erik has been having some sleep issues at home. Something is scary to him about his bed, and he does NOT want to sleep in his bed. He can stay awake much later at night--I thought he was just getting ready for less sleep, but he was waking up so tired. Really, he's just avoiding going to sleep. The last few nights, he has been really afraid to get in his bed, and didn't even want to get into bed with me. As soon as I said he could sleep on the floor, he went right to sleep.

He's also waking up in the middle of the night more. In the past when he would wake up, he would call out for mama or dad. Occasionally, he would get up and come to our door (which is hard for him to open when he's tired, so he'd just stand outside of it). But the last week or two, I'll get up when Anders is crying, and I'll find Erik just sitting somewhere on the floor. Or, asleep on the couch in the TV room. I have no idea how long he's been awake, since he didn't call out for us.

It is affecting him, in that we can tell he's tired. We haven't decided what to do about it, though. One of our friends has a little boy very similar to Erik in many ways. Yuri turns 4 in June, and according to his mom, he went through the same thing at 3 1/2. His fear of his room was so great he wouldn't even go in his room to play for several months. It seems like a real fear to Erik--he's said that his bed is "funny", and that he "needs a break" from his room. His immediate willingness to sleep on his floor instead of his bed points to some sort of fear. I also offered him to sleep in the bed in Anders' room instead, and he jumped at that chance. Unfortunately, I didn't think about Anders, and that it might be harder for him (it was), so I switched them back.

No comments: