Thursday, January 12, 2006

Knock, knock...

The knock, knock joke--a childhood favorite. Erik is just starting to get them, and he finds the whole concept of a joke hilarious. Of course, we've had our share of "not really funny" jokes that he tells us. Some don't make any sense at all--because he doesn't use "real" words to tell them. Some don't make any sense because it's just a random combination of words. But every once in awhile, he actually tells a moderately funny joke. Here's a sample from this morning:

First, I told the current family favorite:

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
banana
Banana who?
Knock, Knock!
Who's there?
Banana
Banana who?
Repeat as many times as you want.....
Knock, knock!
Who's there?
Orange
Orange who?
Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

Erik always loves it, and laughed particularly hard this morning. So I finished telling that joke, and this was his next offering:

Knock, Knock!
Who's there?
banana
Banana who?
Banana glad I didn't say orange?

Of course, I laughed. So then he told it a few more times. After we tired of that one, he tried this one out.

Knock, Knock!
Who's there?
Orange
Orange who?
Orange you going to unlock the door and let me in?

He gets it! This one I laughed hard, and also sniffed. My baby is growing up.

And of course, Anders wants to do what Erik does. So here is a knock, knock joke from a 21-month-old:

na, na (interpretation: Knock, knock!)
Who's there
Oh (interpretation: Orange)
Orange who?
Nana! (interpretation: banana)

I never have to wonder if he's listening to what we say...

1 comment:

Becca said...

Knock Knock!
Who's there?
Cow-go
Cow-go Who?
No, Cow go MOO!!!
ha ha! :) I remember thinking knock knock jokes were the greatest thing in the world! I'll bet they aren't as funny when you're the parent! :) Enjoy!