Monday, December 03, 2007

December 1st--a 5K run

I ran a 5K in Alameda. It was a beautiful race--on Bay Farm Island, starting at the Ferry Terminal (which means nothing to you if you aren't familiar with Alameda, I know), so it was right on the edge of the water with spectacular views of San Francisco and the bay. I was able to get in the front for the start, so I had a few guys passing me at the beginning, but I didn't have too much of a glut of runners to get around.

It was an out-and-back race, and at the turnaround I was in 5th for women (the fun part about a turnaround, since I could see the runners who had already turned around!)

The women directly in front of me ran a spectacular negative split race--she was right ahead of me at the turnaround, and she had moved from slightly behind me. I then watched her pass up quite a few people. I passed a few, including one more woman to put me in 4th.

I am very used to knowing exactly when my run will end, since I run the same course every day. So I know exactly when I can sprint to make it to the end. I'd hoped to sprint at least the last 1/4 mile, more if possible, but before I knew it the end was in sight. I think it was probably about an 1/8th of a mile where I did an actual sprint.

So, I don't quite know what my time was, since I didn't have a watch, and there was no clock! It was under 24 minutes, based on the man who came in after me, but I don't know how much. My goal was under 24 minutes, though, so I made that! And I did come in 4th for the women. I don't know if there was an awards ceremony, though I doubt it. We had to leave right after I grabbed a cup of coffee, though, because Anders had a birthday party to attend this morning.

A little pre-race stretching



Getting ready to start



The very formal and fancy start of the race



Almost done!



Carl got some great pictures of the boys while they were waiting for me to return





1 comment:

Jo said...

Congrats hun! If I could go back in time and do one thing I think running marathon like you In Training Mamas do would be it. If I tried it now I would fall over because since my body can't make adrenaline I'd use all of it made by my pills up. LOL