Saturday, August 11, 2007

August 11th--I set it up!

Many months ago (long enough that I can't remember when, but at least 6), I ordered a compost bin from Alameda County. They provide a discounted rate for the bin and shipping, and for $40 I received a Smith & Hawken Biostack Composter. I opened up the box immediately, but in true Heather fashion got distracted and never put it together. It sat in the big cardboard back in an out-of-the-way area until today, when I finally decided to put it together.

Of course, after opening it, I realized that I should have stored the directions in the house, not in the box, because they were ruined. I searched online to no avail, before I found a contact email for Smith & Hawken and emailed them. I was sure I'd be putting it off yet again.

To my surprise, they emailed me the pdf file about an hour later! So I was able to assemble it.



I then went in the house and watched my lovely Do the Rot Thing video, so I could learn what I need to do with this lovely bin. It was surprisingly a good video, and the first thing I learned was that I need to relocate the bin or find a way to add water to it as necessary, as there is no water source back there. Maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I'm sorry, but all I can picture is that when you open up the bin, a snake comes jumping out. Okay, so what if snaks don't jump...I have a very bad feeling about a big jumping snake living in your bin!