Thursday, March 08, 2007

March 1st--Anders makes a volcano

This experiment started when Anders found the science goggles. After wearing them for only a few minutes, however, he had them off and was concentrating hard on his creation. Erik received a papier mache volcano kit for his birthday. A week or so before this, we'd put it together, and after it dried we made our volcano erupt--the standard baking soda/vinegar treatment.

Anders loves doing experiments, so when he asked to use the volcano again, I jumped at the chance to recreate this easy experiment. I gave him the box of baking soda, and a sippy cup filled with vinegar (the valve removed so it would leak out), and he became a scientist. After a little bit, I got brave and let him have an open cup with a little vinegar in it, since the sippy cup didn't pour very quickly.

1 1/2 boxes of baking soda and about 3 cups of vinegar later, the volcano had pretty much disintegrated, and the lava flow was complete.

From March 2007








No comments: