Wednesday, March 28, 2007

March 28th--glasses

Anders got his new glasses today! He's been asking for his pair of glasses with "windows", as trying on the frames was a bit of a let-down for him. The office is in Berkeley, and we went after lunch.

[It occurred to me that I may have never posted about the ophthalmologist's appointment on the 19th. I couldn't find it, at least. Anyway, Anders is far-sighted like Erik, though his prescription isn't as strong, with +6 in one eye, and +6.25 in the other. Apparently, Carl and I have some sort of recessive gene trait for farsightedness. ;)

When he picked out the frames, we looked at blue rectangular, green circular, and blue circular. He wanted the frames that looked like Erik's. He did express some desire to look at the pink frames, but I just couldn't do it. I'll buy him a pink shirt, let him play with dolls, let him play dress-up, etc, but I just couldn't do pink glasses. Erik originally wanted pink glasses this fall, I couldn't do it then, either. It might just be my issue, or it might be my desire to protect my kids a little bit longer. Though it's no big deal to me if they wear pink, the rest of the world still often has a stereotype. I'm fine with dealing with it when it comes to a shirt or something, but glasses never leave.]

I had to get the "one last" picture of Anders without his glasses on. He isn't very cooperative lately, however, so I wasn't able to get a decent picture until Carl held him upside down:


He immediately put them on and was fine, but 30 seconds later he took them off. And the rest of the day was kind of like that. He said they made things look funny. I guess when you're used to compensating for your poor visual acuity, and you're only 3 years old, sometimes it might not make much sense. I remember that Erik had some difficulty that first day, but it didn't last long. When he got distracted, Anders was fine with them--he wore the the entire time we were in the store, and most of the video he watched when we got home.

Other times, like dinner, were very difficult. I'd put his glasses on, or ask him to put them on. 10 seconds later, he'd pull them down or off. We finally asked him if he needed a break from them, and that seemed to help.

As I said, he's not terribly cooperative right now with getting his picture taken, so I took quite a few bad shots to get these few decent pictures.

Blue


Just a fun picture--peeking out from behind dad


There he is!


Brothers! And now I have even more opportunity to get glasses smear and reflections dominating my photos of my kids...


I think he looks very cute, but Carl is still getting used to it, just like Anders is still getting used to them, I guess.

No comments: