Just to reassure me that he'll be my baby for awhile longer, Anders is not completely out of diapers. He will wear underwear most of the time, and he can stay dry, but it helps if I take him to the bathroom every hour to hour and a half, and I just sometimes forget. If I am going out, I'll put him in a pull-up diaper, and then if I forget to take him, he pees in the diaper and goes on with his day. So if I could be more consistent, then he may be more consistent. I'm not worried about it yet, though.
He's also still nursing. Over the past few months, we've talked some about how Erik was all done with mama milk when he turned 4. Anders would say, "I won't have mama milk after my birthday!" I would always assent, but I felt that it was unlikely that he would be ready to just stop. And sure enough, he told me that he wasn't ready to be done with mama milk. So on we go.
As far as three year olds go, he's one of the cutest I've ever seen. He's funny, happy, and mostly cheerful. He's very very talkative with family and close friends, but he is quiet and reserved in new situations, until he's very comfortable. He's very bright, of course. ;) He's probably ready to read, as he knows all of his letters, upper and lower case, he tries to spell words with his magnets, he knows all of the sounds of letters, and some words that start with each letter, and he can spell and identify his name and the names of several others. I'm not ready to teach him to read, though, so we'll continue the plan of reading all the time for awhile longer. Maybe I should say that he's probably capable of reading now. It's hard to say if he's really ready. I don't want to push it until he expresses a big desire to learn to read.
Wtihin the last few weeks, I've had several signs that made me glad that Anders had an ophthalmologist appointment on the 19th. He'd move closer and say "Now I can see it!" and other such things. And sure enough, we brought him in and he is farsighted, like his brother. He will get his glasses in a few weeks. He wanted glasses just like Erik, so they are round and blue, just like Erik. (Erik, incidentally, doesn't need a prescription change!) His prescription isn't as strong as Erik's (he'll start at +6 and +6.25, Erik is at +10 and +9). I am excited for what he will be able to see, now that he'll be able to see. Today walking down the street he saw a man with white longer hair and a white beard, and he asked if it were Grampa. It seems funny for him to say until I realized that he's not really seeing all that well, and if I blurred my eyes, I could see how the man may resemble Grampa!
Erik always preferred to be in groups with older children, finding the older children at the park and other social places. Anders seems to thrive when he's one of the older children in a group, or with kids who are right around his age.
For several months he has asked me for a baby for a birthday. Every time a baby comes to playgroup, he wants to hold the baby, and not just for a quick minute. When we talk about getting a baby in our home when we start foster care (not necessarily a baby, since we don't know that yet, but most likely a child younger than Anders, which to him is a baby), he is excited about being able to help take care of the baby, and hold the baby. Though we were clear he wouldn't get a baby for his birthday, he hasn't wavered in his desire for us to get a baby soon.
On to some pictures. Here he is unwrapping his train table. Carl and I found the train table at Target when toys were marked down on clearance to 70%. We got the table and the train set for $35, a significant savings. Both boys love the trains!


Anders got a small guitar from Grandpa Rick and Grandma Barb. As you can tell by his face, he was surprised and he loves it!


Here he is singing a song

And I finally get to play my own guitar, since Anders won't ask to play as soon as I take it out. Here we are playing a duet:
No comments:
Post a Comment