Thursday, September 13, 2007

September 13

I let Anders go down this slide today at Cordonices Park in Berkeley:



Anders, my little boy often reluctant to slide down any slide. I actually told him it was slow (hey, I watched several kids go down it, they didn't seem like they were going that fast!). He was excited, walked up to the top with his cardboard, and started off.

This is Anders at the bottom


It's hard to tell, but he was not happy. He had started out sitting down, went speeding down until he lost his balance and flipped over onto his tummy going backwards. He bumped his chin, too. Poor guy! And he trusted me. Sheesh. I did tell him that he was very brave, and he felt better about it all after that. And I just realized (after reading the web page) that it was a 40-ft slide! There was another boy at the top with Anders, he was about 7. He kept saying that it was scary to slide from the very top. I was annoyed at him--Anders wanted to be at the top, and I was afraid he would scare him off. Now I just wish we'd heeded his warning.

Showing me his scraped chin


In other dangerous acts at the park, there was a young man there who was a little too good at swinging







In this picture he is switching swings while swinging. It worked, too.


If it's not exceedingly obvious, he said he was a gymnast.

4 comments:

Mar said...

Oh my gosh, poor little guy's chin!!:)

And that swinger..I would have had to look away. We have a skating area in our neighborhood park and anytime I take the kids, I can't watch the kids skateboarding. I keep waiting for one of them to split their heads open because of course, none are wearing helmets:)

Becka said...

One time, we were at a resort with a water slide. I watched the other kids go down and they were going so slow. It took a TON of convincing, but finallly Marcus decided to try it...IF I would try first. She we climbed up the stairs together and down I went...freaking out the entire ride. I screamed up to the top to NOT let Marcus go. I just knew he was going to kill me for making him take the fright ride of his life. Lo an behold, he loved it and rode for the rest of the day.
You just never know, and it's always good for them to practice their bravery on the unimportant things so that they know it's inside them when it's important.

Val in the Rose Garden said...

That swinger... amazing.... and terribly scary! OMG! Poor little Anders! I bet he heals up and wants to try it again soon... that sounds like a boy thing to do. ;)

True Becka... you just never know. I have had it both ways with both my kids. Usually it is that they love it when you don't want them to... or they put a good face on it, becuase they don't want you to say they can't do it again, but inside they are quaking. That would be my Cyan. lol!

Val

Becca said...

OUCH!