More recently, I've been starting to think more about a training program, and being more thoughtful on what I run on any given day. I still can't truly commit (and this past week I only ran 3 days), but I've been trying to mix it up: a few shorter runs, a tempo run, a long slow run, and perhaps speedwork if I'm having a particularly consistent week. And I've been surprised--my pace is really improving. Previously, I would have considered an 8 minute mile to be about my best pace. But recently in my long, slow run (where I try to run at a pace that feels comfortable for the whole run) I found my pace was right around 8:30 minute miles. For 12 miles. And last week in my tempo run, I ran 3 miles at sub-7 minute miles (and lived to tell about it!)
I'm convinced. Training really does make a difference, even when I'm not particularly training for anything. Which leads me to contemplation of "training" in other areas of my life. My typical mode of operation has always been similar to how I approach running--do as much as I can in the time that I have, giving little thought to improving over time. This attitude is pervasive in my life. Cleaning, cooking, and scrapbooking are as likely to fall to my "do what I can when I can" attitude as running is. Most notable to me, however, is how I approach my spiritual life.
I've been a Christian for most of my life. I've read the whole Bible (more than once), I pray, I study. Yet, I consistently feel like I'm stuck. This recent contemplation brings to mind, however, the verses in the Bible that compare the spiritual life to running and training. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 says
- Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
The New Living Translation continues in verse 27 with
- I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
It occurred to me that I'm not "running in such a way as to get the prize", as it says in verse 24. I am not training in my spiritual life. Rather, I'll read my Bible in the time I have, I'll pray in the time that I have. But there's no thought or effort given to reaching a goal.
There are many running plans out there. I can follow any number of plans where it tells me exactly what to run on any given day. It's also important to consider shoes and clothing, and the most seriously training runners will have a Garmin. The motivation still has to come from within me--the best plan may tell me what to do when I run, but it won't get me out of bed. I've also known about running plans and increasing pace for a long time. What it took for me was pondering the question "Why do I run?" I had to decide if I was content to just keep running at the same pace, with the same lack of consistency... or if I wanted to commit to running and work on improving my pace.
That leaves me to contemplation of the question, "Why am I a Christian?" Do I want to just continue spending a little time reading my Bible, a little time praying, and call it a day? Or am I a Christ-follower for a different reason? If my goal is to serve God and to become more Christlike, then I need to commit to that wholeheartedly.
2 comments:
incredible, heather. thank you for sharing that -- words that I need to take heed to as well.
Thank you, Jen. Someday I'll leave comments for you on all of your great posts. Know that you've inspired me, though.
Post a Comment